Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I just happened to read a blog of my friend.The blog was about how stupid was the idea of 'Sandwich week'.
'Sandwich week' is a week where you feed a sandwich to a kid of lesser god or kids from orphanage.People who wish to participate in this event need to take out mere 10 mins everyday from their busy schedules and feed the kid(s)with the sandwich.
So this friend of mine ridiculed and opposed this idea to all extents.Now she had a point but I am not sure if it is completely right.According to her opinion,its stupidity feeding the kids with sandwich since(i)Sandwiches aren't healthy(ii)with the money we spend on buying a sandwich,we can buy healthier food and feed the kids with nutritious food.
Well,now I partially agree with her but mostly disagree.How many of us actually,by actually I mean actually,in reality,get out of their cosy beds,go to a orphanage or to a need kid and offer him help.Its so easy for people to preach that do this and don't do that but how many of them put those golden words of their wisdom to practice??I would say almost none.
Then why to discourage and ridicule others who are doing atleast something to help the kids.
Ok,I agree to her point that we can provide them some thing healthier than sandwich.But then,again I would like to say two things here
(i)sandwiches aren't as unhealthy as they are made to sound.A whole wheat bread with cucumber,tomatoes,lettuce and maybe jam or some chutney wouldn't be called unhealthy.And don't kids love Sandwiches???Oh yes they do!!!
(ii)As the week suggests;take out just 10 mins from your schedule;Now,not everybody is going to cook healthy food everyday for a week and feed kids mainly because speaking honestly,we really don't have that time these days and it doesn't make sense to just donate grains to kids(obviously!!).
So whats bad in this sandwich!!Atleast people are doing some thing and I think I really applaud the fact that some one I know is taking initiative and helping the kids in my country in some way.
Again,everybody has a right to express their views on every single thing in the world BUT then don't you think its useless to just sit there in front of your PC,ridicule it,blog about how bad an idea it is and not do anything at all and wait seamlessly for your chance to help feed our country.
We can definitely at least support them and share your ideas with them and together help make India an even better place where no kid is deprived of his basic needs.
Some links you can use to contribute your bit:
http://www.concernindia.org/
www.smilefoundationindia.org/donation.htm
www.giveindia.org/c-63-education.aspx

Some of them just require you to donate as less as $1.
I did my bit..its your turn now.......

No comments:

Post a Comment